Re: imapd/ipop3d coredump in slackware 3.4

From: Dave (dgriffiat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 01 1998 - 23:33:47 PST

    On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Peter van Dijk wrote:

    > [attic bug report nr. 1]
    >
    > While fooling around a little with NIS/YP (didn't get it completely
    > working...) I ran into a bug in the imapd and ipop3d that come with
    > slackware 3.4 (if you install the pine package).
    > Earlier slackware versions will problably NOT suffer from this bug,
    > because they did not include shadowing.
    >
    > When fed an unknown username, imapd and ipop3d will dump core:

    [exploit snipped]

    Slackware 3.3 includes does include shadowing.  Apparently, the stock
    ipop3d is not vunerable, but imapd is.

    thumper:/$ telnet thumper 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to thumper.woods.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK thumper POP3 Server (Version 1.005h) ready at <Sun Feb 01 23:09:25 1998>
    user root
    +OK please send PASS command
    pass linux
    -ERR invalid usercode or password, please try again
    user john
    +OK please send PASS command
    pass doe
    -ERR invalid usercode or password, please try again
    quit
    +OK arthur POP3 Server (Version 1.005h) shutdown.
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    thumper:/$ ls -l core
    /bin/ls: core: No such file or directory
    thumper:/$

    thumper:/$ telnet thumper imap2
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK thumper.woods.com IMAP2bis Service 7.8(100) at Sun, 1 Feb 1998
    23:15:45 -0800 (PST)
    A001 LOGIN root linux
    A001 NO Bad LOGIN user name and/or password
    A002 LOGIN john doe
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    thumper:/$ ls -l core
    -rw-------   1 root     root       282624 Feb  1 23:16 core