Re: www-sql cgi prog overrides .htaccess restrictions.

From: Sebastian Andersson (saat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 02:57:26 PST

    Someone wrote:
    > On 09-Feb-98 Mr LEROY christophe wrote:

    > >The problem is that www-sql performs nothing to verify if a user can
    > >access the intended PATH_TRANSLATED file.
    > >
    > This is a common characteristic of other "cgi-wrapper" programs as well,
    > including w3-msql and php.cgi. The latter addresses this by giving one
    > the option to set PATTERN_RESTRICT at compile time (that way it will
    > only load files ending in say ".phtml"), or by compiling as an apache
    > module. I'm not sure about w3-msql because I haven't been following it
    > for quite some time.

    > regards, markjr

    I use PHP/FI as a cgi program with Apache and Apache's Action
    directive. To stop this bug, I added this to php/fi 2.0b12's main.c
    file (around line 45):

    #if PHPFASTCGI
            while(FCGI_Accept() >= 0) {
    #endif

    +       s = getenv("REDIRECT_STATUS");
    +       if(!s) {
    +           puts("Content-type: text/plain\r\n\r\nPHP/FI detected an internal error. Please inform saat_private of what you just did.\n");
    +           exit(1);
    +       }

            s = getenv("PATH_TRANSLATED");

    This prevents the script from being called directly via an URL since
    that wouldn't set the REDIRECT_STATUS variable. I believe I sent this to
    the PHP/FI development list, but I never heard anything from them
    (probably because they were going to drop the cgi support).

    /Sebastian