Re: Simple way to bypass squid ACLs

From: Mauro Lacy (mauro@INTER-SOFT.COM)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 08:08:41 PST

    Vitaly V. Fedrushkov wrote:

    > Good $daytime,
    >
    > Software:       Squid Internet Object Cache
    > Version:        1.1.20 (at least)
    >                 simple rewriting
    > Impact:         renders any access control based on url_regex
    >                 and/or urlpath_regex unusable
    >
    > Details
    > ~~~~~~~
    > It is possible to bypass squid access control rules based on URL
    > regular expressions.  Due to insufficient URL parsing it is possible
    > to rewrite URL with hex escapes so that it is no longer matched
    > against some rule but remains valid for replying server.

    You can also replace the URL by its numerical IP address(at least this
    works for the proxy of my company) eg.:

     netscape http://www.playboy.com                -> Access denied
     nslookup www.playboy.com
            Non-authoritative answer:
            Name:    wdc.express.playboy.com
            Addresses:  206.251.29.12, 205.216.146.201
            Aliases:  www.playboy.com, www.express.playboy.com

     netscape http://206.251.29.12                  -> OK!
     or
     netscape http://205.216.146.201                -> OK!

    > Workaround
    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > 1. Rewrite regexps to match any valid URL rewriting.  Seems tricky
    > and result is unreadable by human (== easy to mistype).
    >
    > 2. Use some request-rewriting software at proxy port to canonify
    > request and forward it to squid.  This breaks port- and IDENT-based
    > rules.

    I suppose that in this case you have to add the numerical IP of the URL
    in the ACL.
    eg.:
     PornoURLs.acl:
             www.playboy.com
             206.251.29.12
             205.216.146.201

    Everybody: please don't tell my company sysadmin. :-))

    > - - --
    > "No easy hope or lies        | Vitaly "Willy the Pooh" Fedrushkov
    >  Shall bring us to our goal, | Information Technology Division
    >  But iron sacrifice          | Chelyabinsk State University
    >  Of Body, Will and Soul."    | mailto:willyat_private  +7 3512 156770
    >                    R.Kipling | http://www.csu.ac.ru/~willy  VVF1-RIPE

    I agree.

    Mauro
    --