Re: overwrite any file with updatedb

From: Dave G. (dhgat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 02 1998 - 12:22:29 PST

    It is known.  See KSR[T] Advisory #3( http://www.dec.net/ksrt/adv3.html ).

    > On many linux systems(Redhat imparticularly) updatedb is run nightly
    > around 1:00. When it sorts the files that find gets, it creats a few files
    > in /tmp called sort0<pid>000{1,2,etc}. Each is around 512k. The
    > first file is created and filled, then if necassary, another is created
    > and so on until it has your whole filesystem into a nice database. Well,
    > once the first file is created you can easily guess what the next filename
    > will be called as only the last character will change. If you create a
    > link to say, the shadow password file, updatedb will kindly overwrite it
    > for you. Ex:
    >
    > I played with this for awhile but couldn't find
    > anyway to write anything useful to any file except /etc/shells so you can
    > ftp into the system no matter what your specified shell is.

    The consequences are more serious than that.  A carefully crafted filename
    in a world writable directory that updatedb processes could lead to a root
    compromise.  One could overwrite root's .rhosts or .login.

    This could easily lead to a root compromise.

    Dave G.

    David Goldsmith                                            dhgat_private
    DEC Consulting                                      http://www.dec.net
    Software Development/Internet Security         http://www.dec.net/~dhg