Re: x11amp playlist bug

From: Thomas Sailer (sailerat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 00:13:09 PST

    Ari Heitner wrote:

    > I installed x11amp w/o making it setuid, it's perms are
    > -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       623456 Feb 23 13:33 x11amp*
    > it works very nicely.  I don't know why the x11amp people would recommend
    > setuiding it to root, except that this may avoid access problems writing
    > to /dev/dsp.

    I don't know x11amp (yet), but the soundcard access code I
    put into amp uses root privs to mlock itself into memory and
    set itself (sched_setscheduler(SCHED_RR)) to rt prio.
    That way, I can get away with very low buffer space and I can
    stuff the decoded samples directly into the DMA buffer of the
    soundcard. This makes it possible to run AMP on a heavily loaded
    machine without audible effects.

    I think there's a fallback to the old code that just uses
    a rather big audio buffer between the decoder and the sound driver.
    Obviously, this won't work well on a heavily loaded machine.

    Tom

    NB: I thought I have been rather careful in giving up root
    perms as soon as possible, but maybe I've missed something...