Re: SLMail 2.6 DoS - Imail also

From: Mark Symons (mark.symonsat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 12:28:12 PST

    There have recently been a couple of messages concerning DoS attacks on
    NT-based SLMail and IMail SMTP servers.  At the end of January, a
    similar report was made concerning IMail's POP3 server.

    Jon[SMTP:stevenat_private] wrote:

    >  A long string of text after a command makes
    > the program (SLMail) crash.

    (Snip)

    >  It will stay unresponsive until manually restarted.

    (Snip)

    >  Out of boredom, I tried another smtp daemon for Windows,
    > IMail (I tried 4.03) by IPSwitch (www.ipswitch.com). Which
    > crashed the same way. Pretty strange, I've only tried two
    > windowsNT smtp daemons, and both crashed the same way...

    I cannot comment on SLMail, but John Junod (author of IMail) says the
    following:

    # That "bug" by the way, doesn't cause IMail any problems.
    # It only causes the "hacker" a problem since IMail won't
    # release the connection and won't accept any more input
    # from them until they drop the connection and reconnect.
    # It does not affect any other sessions to the SMTP server.
    # The session does drop cleanly freeing all resources as
    # designed either when the "hacker" breaks the connection
    # or when the timeout occurs, whichever occurs first.

    Mark Symons
    EDS Africa
    mark.symonsat_private