Re: RAS 'save password' problems...

From: martin Dolphin (mdolphinat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 14:41:29 PST

    At 12:04 AM 3/23/98 -0500, David LeBlanc wrote:
    The way to disable this is to use the CachedLogonsCount registry value in
    the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry
    key.  Default value is 10 if the key doesn't exist.  I keep my set at 1 so
    only the first logon is cached.

    NT does store the hashes and not clear text.  It store these credentials in
    the HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets area of the registry as NL$1 to NL$10  and
    it stores the lanman hash followed by the NT hash followed by 3 bytes of
    'status'. (as per Paul Aston's posting to NTBUGTRAQ)  I'd bet that these
    hashes are not syskeyed.