BSD coredumps follow symlinks

From: Denis Papp (dpappat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 16:55:40 PST

    I have a system running BSD/OS 2.1 with all the patches from BSDi, including
    K210-029 which I quote:
    "This patch addresses a security problem with core dumps from setuid programs."

    I don't know what this patch really does but apparently this patch does
    not fix the problem where coredumps follow symlinks.  If a user knows
    how to core dump any setuid root program that user can then clobber any
    file on the system (/root/.rhosts, /etc/passwd, /etc/hosts.equiv,
    whatever).  Furthermore if that user knows how to clobber
    a setuid root program that calls getpass* then the user can get
    all the shadowed passwords.

    This is easy to verify by creating a simple setuid root app that core
    dumps and then making a symbolic link from app.core to /root/.rhosts.
    If your system accepts '+ +' anywhere in the .rhosts file you can put that
    in your env to get root access.

    This concerns me a great deal - apparently 'su' and 'rlogin' are
    core-dumpable (although I'm not certain how).  And I wouldn't
    be surprised if a few other of the standard utilities that are setuid
    root are also 'core-dumpable'.

    What can I do about it?  Is there a way to turn off core dumps?  That
    would be a reasonable temporary fix.

    --
    Denis Papp                              dpappat_private
                                            http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~dpapp