Re: portmap 4.0-8 DoS

From: Peter van Dijk (peterat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 13:17:58 PDT

    On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Michal Zalewski wrote:

    > It's possible to perform DoS attack by sending small amount of junk to
    > tcp port 111 of machine running portmap 4.0 (and older). Simple exploit
    > follows (only to send a few random 8-bit chars):
    >
    >   telnet -E victim.com 111 </dev/random
    >
    > It will affect specific operations/services on attacked host, like login -
    > depending on system speed, login attempt on idle machine (LA=0.01, Linux
    > 2.0.x, x86) will take from over 10 seconds (k6/200MHz) to long minutes
    > (486dx/80MHz). During attack, many select() calls will fail (timeout),
    > so complex programs will become much slower (especially when resolving
    > domain names :), but LA will not change significally.
    >
    > Smarter attacks (without /dev/random) are probably much more effective.

    This is the very same bug I already reported as 'easy DoS in most RPC
    apps'. rpc.portmap is one I forgot to check ;)
    This bug is in (g)libc, I've been discussing it with some rpc developers,
    they don't see any simple solution...

    Greetz, Peter.

     'Selfishness and separation have led me to   .      Peter 'Hardbeat' van Dijk
      to believe that the world is not my problem .    network security consultant
      I am the world. And you are the world.'     .               (yeah, right...)
              Live - 10.000 years (peace is now)  .        peterat_private
     10:16pm  up 13 days, 19:56,  3 users,  load average: 1.02, 0.52, 0.20