Re: Novell Netware 4.X Hidden user accounts

From: Robert MACDONALD (RMACDONALDat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 09:37:07 PDT

    Look for HOBJLOC on Novells or Fastlanes site. This is a hidden object
    locator. I use it to see if I have gained any of these little creatures...

    Best of Luck!
    Robert

    Robert P. MacDonald (rmacdonaldat_private)
    Systems, Network & Security Analyst
    Perrigo Company, Allegan, Michigan

    >>> <jdrodriguezat_private> 04/16 3:59 PM >>>
    Command
            Creating user accounts
    Systems Affectted
            Netware 4.X
    Problem
    Netware allows a user account to become "hidden" and unable to be
    managed by native Netware tools including deleting the account.

    The following MUST be done as an admin(supervisor)
    1)  Start NWADMIN
    2)  Create a user
    3)  Give the user supervisor equivalence
    (Note:  Not required, but why not)
    4)  Right click on the user.
    5)  Select Trustees
    6)  Delete Root and Public trustees
    7)  Select the user and change its rights(Object and Property)
    8)  Assign ONLY Supervisor
    9)  Select Inherited Rights Filter
    10) Deselect all values(NO boxes should be marked)
    11) Return to main NWADMIN screen(HIT OK TWICE, I think)
    12) Refresh the screen(Can be done by clicking on the tree name where
    the user account was created)
    13) The user account is GONE.

    Execute some native Netware commands.  Try this one which will list all
    detailed information on all users.
            NLIST USER /D
    The newly created account is now missing.

    Now try to assign a password to the account.
            SETPASS USERNAME
    You get an error message stating that you must be a manager to change
    the password.

    Solution:  Unknown
    Workaround:
    To delete this account.  You must start the server in bindery mode.  Add
    SET BINDERY CONTEXT command in AUTOEXEC.NCF(Note: You must set the
    context to the one
    in which the account was created).  Utilize the USERDUMP tool to ID the
    account, if you have not done so already.  Next, use CHGPASS to change
    the user accounts password.  Login in as that user, and reverse the
    previous procedure to hide the user account.  Specifically, adding
    PUBLIC and ROOT as trustees.  USERDUMP and CHGPASS are publicly
    available tools.