"Off By One IP Header" Exploit Against PalmOS 2.0.4

From: Andrew (andrewhat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 19:50:55 PDT

    I was really bored the other day and decided to see if my PalmPilot was
    susceptible to the widely distributed 'nestea' exploit.  After cradling my
    PalmPilot Pro, and establishing a PPP connection with an MTU of 1500, I
    tried a nestea of one packet against the Pilot's IP.  After about 2 to 3
    seconds, the Pilot popped up an error window like:
                              ______________________
                             |                      |
                             |                      |
                             |                      |
                             | ____________________ |
                             ||    Fatal Error     ||
                             ||~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~||
                             || Fatal Exception    ||
                             ||       _____        ||
                             ||      (Reset)       ||
                             ||       ~~~~~        ||
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I suffered no data loss, but it's kind of annoying to have to re-boot your
    pilot.  I've tried to contact 3Com, but I've received no response from
    them as to where to report PalmOS bugs.  Questions I'd like to pose to the
    reader:

    1) When dialing up with the normal Palm PPP stack (not PPP-over-cradle),
    will the attack still work (ie, will it negotiate a high enough MTU to
    allow the crash packet through).
    2) Does it also affect PalmOS 3.x (and other 2.x, for that matter)?
    3) Does anyone know where to report these bugs to 3Com?

    Bye,

    -=[ Andrew Hobgood ]|[ Kha0S@EFNet