Re: Buffer overflows in Solaris 2.6 ufsdump and ufsrestore

From: Eugene Bradley (eugene.bradleyat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 13:50:53 PDT

    I confirmed the segmentation fault for Solaris 2.6 SPARC on a Sun
    Ultra Enterprise 2 box running Solaris 2.6 with the current
    (4/8) recommended & security patch cluster, plus the following
    patches specific to ufsdump and ufsrestore [1]:

    105722-01: SunOS 5.6: /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump patch
    105724-01: SunOS 5.6: /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsrestore patch

    I have an open ticket with SunService on this vulnerability.
    Best fix I know of for now:

    chmod ug-s /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump
    chmod u-s /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsrestore

    Unfortunately, my job doesn't use gcc for development, so I was
    unable to compile ufsdump.c at all to test for tty or even
    root shell exploitation.

    --
    Eugene Bradley
    eugene.bradleyat_private (Personal ONLY!)

    [1]You need a SunService contract *and* a valid registration at
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/sunsolve/contractservices.html to
    obtain these patches.

    --
    Eugene Bradley
    eugene.bradleyat_private (Personal ONLY!)
    eugenebradleyat_private (everything else)
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/9323/