Special Report On Buffer Overfolws

From: John Vranesevich (jpat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 09:05:02 PDT

    Greetings All:

    It was brought to my attention that a special report published by
    AntiOnline on buffer overflows may have contained materials which were not
    original to the publishing author. The article, which was submitted to
    AntiOnline by an individual who was not a member of the AntiOnline staff,
    seems to have been "ripped" in part from articles written by both Phrack
    and L0pht staff members. I apologize greatly for this, and may I say it is
    NEVER AntiOnline's intention to take credit for work which is not
    originally created by our staff members. If you notice in that article, we
    did give credit to the individual that originally sent it to us. I
    certainly have great respect for other organizations in the field, such as
    L0pht and Phrack, and would never intentionally do anything to put
    AntiOnline in a bad light with them. I will also say that we are now taking
    steps to insure such a thing does not happen again. We at AntiOnline always
    try to maintain a level of professionalism (which is more than i can say
    for certain individuals from the "ambient empire" who seem to have taken it
    upon themselves to post childish flames against us) On monday, the buffer
    overflow report will be updated to include credits to both L0pht and
    Phrack, with a personal apology from me as well. Once again, my sincere
    apologies.

    Yours In CyberSpace,
    John Vranesevich
    Founder, AntiOnline