Some Past Frontpage Exploits

From: chameleon (chameleonat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 15:55:18 PDT

    I've seen a few posts here recently talking about frontpage bugs and things
    of the such so I thought I would share something things me and Vacuum found
    6 or so months ago. Note: goto www.rhino9.org/com/net and get the new paper
    by Vacuum and I on nt hacking and things of the such. NT registry is Vacuums
    b!tch.

    1. Frontpage extensions for un!x can lead to some bad bad problems. Around
    90% of the time when your sitting on a shell of a provider that has
    frontpage server extensions you can do a find / -name service.pwd -print and
    then from that list grep out readable ones. Usualy as I said 90% of the
    time... you will beable to have read access and sometimes write access to a
    persons service.pwd.

    2. Frontpage extensions for un!x..... Also more then 50% or so of the time I
    have seen that if you do http://www.victim.com/_vti_pvt/service.pwd you will
    beable to read the remote computer service.pwd because of bad chmod
    permissions.

    3. Frontpage password cracking: As Vacuum and I first discovered an
    documented, frontpage server extensions use DES encryption. So basically you
    can take the frontpage service.pwd (chameleon:jk53kjnb43) and then add
    chameleon:jk53kjnb43:0:0:comments:/:/bin/bash and drop that into your
    password cracker and boom. You get the idea. Note: A lot of times people
    will use the same frontpage password as their other passwords for the un!x
    shell. Thats a givin though to any hacker/cracker/security d00d :-]

    4. I saw a post today I believe about someone being able to connect to a
    server with frontpage server extensions and being able to alter the page
    without any password. The reason you can do this is the NT everyone group.
    Its very common that a server with, NT4.0 server, IIS3.0 and frontpage
    server extensions installed, you can alter their webpage via frontpage
    because the everyone group is on the computer and it drops you right in.
    That shouldnt be too hard to understand. Note: Right after installation of
    frontpage server extensions on a NT4.0 IIS3.0 box it addes the everyone
    group to have access to the server via frontpage explorer etc.

    5. Find File exploit used for frontpage hacking. It is possible to use the
    find file exploit (http://www.victim.com/samples/search/queryhit.htm) and
    search for FILENAME=*.pwd. About 20% of the time or so you will beable to
    find pwd files on the remote sytem. Note: By default the find file exploit
    will let you read any file in its search area with no access restrictions.

    6. Something for the neato people out there to look into are the frontpage
    buffer overflows. Enough said I hope.

    -chameleon
    Rhino9 Security Team (www.rhino9.org/com/net)
    InterCore Security