Re: Leveraging search engines against FrontPage enabled websites

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 06:15:45 PDT

    [NOTE - cross-posted to NTBUGTRAQ]

    At 04:45 PM 4/26/98 -0700, MrJeKKyL wrote:
    >        After rather quickly discovering more than a dozen websites within
    less
    >than half an hour using the _vti_inf.html method. I decided to see if the
    >Microsoft Management Console (MMC) would provide the same results as did
    >the FP Explorer. I was able to connect and view what particular services
    >were being used by the MMC for a few of the websites. Thankfully, I did
    >recieve "Access Denied" warnings and "Network name not found" when trying
    >to view the properties for those services.
    >        I'm curious if anyone else has taken this apporach. Or tried
    different
    >methods using the same tools. As it could lead to a serious problem. There
    >are huge holes waiting to happen to people if a remote MMC can be used on a
    >misconfigured FP enabled webserver.

    There are a number of issues at work here -

    1) As I mentioned previously, the file system permissions on a default
    install are very loose (to put it mildly).  The IIS install, and the FP
    install after that don't do anything to change them, instead taking what is
    inherited from the file system above it.  Default permissions on anything
    coming off of the root of the system drive will be everyone:RWXD, admins,
    system:F.  If it is a freshly formatted drive, it will be everyone:F.
    Without FP installed, this is annoying, and doesn't provide a second layer
    of protection for your site, but the IIS metabase permissions sit in front
    of the NTFS permissions, and it isn't a problem by itself.  With FP
    installed, it makes the everyone group able to admin and author the site
    (whoops).

    2) MMC and a number of the newer admin tools for various NT-ish sorts of
    things use DCOM, which runs across 135 UDP, and does NOT depend on 139
    being accessible to function.  Also note that DCOM does NOT depend on the
    right to log on from the network.  It is definately a smart thing to put
    filters in front of the NT box which keep it from accepting packets to 135
    (UDP and TCP).  Some of the DCOM utilities have overly broad permissions to
    access the thing, but appear to be fairly reasonable about letting you
    actually change important items.

    Things you should do to lock things down are:

    1) Set reasonable NTFS permissions on your web site.  Start with giving the
    IUSR_machine account RX access (and admins/system:F) all the way up the
    tree. Next go find anything you need to be writable, and allow that.  Make
    sure everything still works.

    2) The IUSR_machine account will install into the domain users group by
    default if it is a PDC or BDC - check the groups this user (and the IWAM
    user) belong to.  Make the IUSR_machine account a member of guests only,
    and the IWAM user a member of guests and the MTS Trusted Impersonators.

    3) It might be a fix to set the NTFS permissions on the _vti_inf.html file
    to exclude the IUSR_machine account, which would make it non-readable to
    anonymous users, and would keep people from being able to easily find out
    whether you've got FP installed.  Note that I have NOT tested this, so if
    someone with FP would please test this and let me know if it breaks, I'd
    appreciate it.  Setting the AuthFlags to NT auth only on this file may also
    be a good idea - my reasoning is that FP should only be used by
    authenticated users other than the IUSR_machine account, and this would
    accomplish that.

    4) Use two network adapters - set the internet exposed adapter to only
    accept TCP:80, and deny all UDP.  Set the other adapter to allow people to
    admin the box as appropriate, using whatever scheme you think works
    (probably very site-specific).

    5) Make an authors group, and a site admins group - then set NTFS
    permissions on the web site(s) to reflect that.  Try to avoid using either
    the users or everyone groups.

    IMHO, MS should be tweaking the NTFS settings to something more appropriate
    on install and NOT leaving it to the individual admin to figure things out.
     Your average admin isn't going to know all the ins and outs, is going to
    break things, then get frustrated and open things up too far - resulting in
    what we're seeing.

    Another note - the mere presence of the _vti_inf.html file doesn't always
    indicate FP is present - this will show up on a default install of IIS
    without FP being added.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private