Re: CERT Vendor-Initiated Bulletin VB-98.04 - xterm.Xaw

From: Keith Bostic (bosticat_private)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 13:39:46 PDT

    I don't have much to say about The Open Group taking X private.  I don't
    like it, but that's neither here nor there.

    My concern is that CERT has let itself be used as a marketing tool.

    To be fair, I believe it was accidental.  There are two types of CERT
    postings: advisories and vendor initiated bulletins.  The former are what
    gets passed around among vendors before CERT releases the information,
    and they contain exploit information.  They usually concern common code
    that lots of systems share, and for that reason are of interest to
    multiple vendors.

    The latter are precisely what the name implies -- vendors give the CERT
    information and CERT disseminates information as to where patches are
    available to users of those systems.  The idea is that vendor-initiated
    bulletins are specific to a vendor, so there's no reason to provide
    exploit information to other vendors.

    What happened in this case was that The Open Group gave CERT a vendor
    bulletin, but it was concerned code shared by other vendors.  Because the
    problems were in common code and the bulletin explicitly stated that the
    common versions were vulnerable, the bulletin's message became "there's
    a security problem in your systems, and if you don't buy software from
    us, your children will eventually have to beg for food in the streets."

    This is a slippery slope.

    When BSDI finds a security problem in common code, we tell CERT about it,
    and we provide exploit code to them, because we know that when CERT finds
    out about problems in common code from Sun or FreeBSD, we'll get exploit
    code from them.

    This only works if all the vendors play by the same rules.  If the rules
    have changed, I think you can confidently expect to see vendor initiated
    bulletins from BSDI that read something like:

        We have found a horrible, awful life-threatening problem
        in the TCP/IP stack, and Solaris is vulnerable!  If you
        don't buy BSDI systems, hackers will have cancelled all
        of your credit cards by tomorrow evening.  Nyah, nyah, nyah!

    Again, I believe this was accidental on CERT's part, and I don't think
    it had to have been malicious on The Open Group's part.  Holding back
    information for a week while your customers get a preview is something
    that most companies have done from time to time.

    That said, we have a problem, and both CERT and The Open Group need to
    fix it:

        1. The Open Group should immediately release full information for
           the X bugs they've reported (including exploits), to CERT.

        2. CERT should immediately circulate that information to the usual
           vendors/groups.

        3. CERT should publicly state that their policy is that vendor
           initiated bulletins should not concern common code shared by
           vendors, and advisories about common code should include
           information sufficient for other vendors to fix their systems.

    Obviously, in the future, The Open Group can choose not to send exploit
    information to CERT, that's their choice.  Alternatively, The Open Group
    can send CERT vendor-initiated bulletins, but in that case, they should
    not mention code that is used by other groups, regardless of other groups
    being at risk.

    CERT cannot function as it has up to now, if it permits itself to be
    put in the position of providing a marketing advantage to a vendor.

    So... I'd suggest if you haven't already done so, call CERT and let them
    know that you're concerned.  There's a problem here, and it needs to be
    fixed.

    Keith Bostic
            BSDI                            bosticat_private