NSCA HTTPD (for Windows) bug.

From: Renos (renosmat_private)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 01:33:26 PDT

    Well, it seems that I found a bug in NCSA's httpd v1.4 (for Windows).
    The bug can cause the server to crash. The problem seems to be that
    the server has MAX_STRING_LEN defined to 256 characters. So, when a
    client's request is larger than 256 characters the server crases.
    I tested it on a PC running Windows 3.11, wich I believe are more
    stable than Win95, with W32s driver. I TELNETed into the server on
    port 80 (using 127.0.0.1 as the IP address). Then using the 'GET'
    command I insert more than 256 characters. The server crashed showing
    a message asking the user to terminate the program. I haven't try it
    yet on other PC, but the problem it's the MAX_STRING_LEN, so it
    doesn't make any differents.
    The server crashes showing no messages to the clients screen. In the
    Access Log files the client's request seems like a normal request nad
    Ididn't found anything on Error Log file.I even tested with a Web
    Browser calling a file with more than 256 characters and I had the
    same results.
    Since the server is not for commercial use the bug doesn't seem to be
    serious. A fix would be to re-define MAX_STRING_LEN to a much bigger
    number. As far as I know the Server Administrator cannot re-define
    MAX_STRING_LEN.
    Greetings
    Renos