Re: improved synflood protection & detection

From: Gert Doering (gertat_private)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 14:17:07 PDT

    Hi,

    VaX#n8 wrote:
    [..]
    > Consulting
    > <URL:ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ipv4-address-space>
    > one finds that there are several classes of reserved addresses,
    > distinct from the private addresses codified in the related RFCs:
    [..]
    > It may be worthwhile to generate list of all address blocks not
    > recently routed and construct a filter based on those.

    This list will be very large due to the highly fragmented nature of 192/8,
    for example, and will be ever-changing.

    As long as there is no automatized way to generate this list, for example
    by a routing registry like "whois.ra.net", but more complete and better
    authenticated against erroneous objects, this is doomed to fail due to
    high maintenance efforts.

    On the other hand, I can only urge every internet service provider out
    there to carefully read RFC2267 ("Network Ingress Filtering") and apply
    strong filters to all customer lines.  After all, you KNOW very exactly
    which IP addresses this customer is using (you route them to him), so
    you can easily filter all packets with other source addresses.

    While this won't immediately have any benefits to your network, it has
    enormous benefits to everybody else -- they can't be attacked by your
    customers any more.  (Thanks to Alan Cox for pointing this out to me, and
    to Paul Ferguson for writing the RFC about it!).

    gert

                                                               //www.muc.de/~gert/
    Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gertat_private
    fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doeringat_private-muenchen.de