Re: Firewall-1 Reserved Keywords Vulnerability

From: Paul Watson (paul_watsonat_private)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 11:05:38 PDT

    Aleph Wrote: << SNIP >>
    > This vulnerability in Firewall-1 has been made public by CheckPoint
    > but hasn't been well publicized. << SNIP >>

    Very scary.  I created a sample policy with 2 systems, Mail and Mail2, to see
    what would happen.  I run 3.0b with patches on some internal networks and was
    amazed to see the results of compiling the policy.  I have included portion of
    the packet filter source and snippets of the resulting compiled output.  Note
    that "Mail" appears in the pf file, but not in the fc output.  Ouch.

    Although, I doubt many admins will name objects "netobjwin" or "viewwin".
    However, I am quite sure that it is common for many Firewall-1 admins to name a
    system "mail" in their host objects, so this potential vulnerability is probably
    wide-spread.

    It should be noted, however, that although this vulnerability may be present in
    many internet Firewalls, it would only be easily exploitable if the internal
    network consist of valid internet IP addresses.  i.e. Not RFC1918 internal
    addressing.

    -Paul Watson
    +-------------------------+---------------------------------+
    | Paul Watson             | Senior Network Security Engineer|
    |                         | IRIDIUM LLC                     |
    | paul_watsonat_private | "One World, One Phone!"         |
    +-------------------------+---------------------------------+

    >From /etc/fw/conf/policyname.pf
    : (rule-3
                            :src (