John the Ripper v1.5

From: Solar Designer (solarat_private)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 11:01:23 PDT

    Hello,

    I've just released a new version of John the Ripper, it is available at:
    http://www.false.com/security/john/

    John the Ripper is a UNIX password cracker, currently available for UNIX,
    DOS, WinNT/Win95. Version 1.5 has been tested with Linux x86/Alpha/SPARC,
    FreeBSD x86, OpenBSD x86, Solaris 2.x SPARC and x86, Digital UNIX. There's
    also a generic make target that should work on most other UNIX systems.

    Out of the box, John supports (and autodetects) the following ciphertext
    formats: standard and double-length DES-based, BSDI's extended DES-based,
    FreeBSD's (and not only) MD5-based, and OpenBSD's Blowfish-based -- with
    my own optimized routines for all of them.

     Changes from v1.4 to v1.5
    ---------------------------
    * Everything is re-coded, to be far more extendable, more portable (no
    GNU C extensions used, unless __GNUC__ is defined), and more readable.
    * Bitslice DES routines: up to 3 times faster on RISC.
    * BSDI's extended DES-based ciphertext format support.
    * OpenBSD's Blowfish-based ciphertext format support.
    * Special assembly DES routines for x86 with MMX: +30% on a Pentium II.
    * Improved MD5 routines (both C and x86 assembly), 10...50% faster.
    * Smarter length switching in incremental mode.
    * ...And a lot of other changes, see doc/NEWS.

    Signed,
    Solar Designer