Re: pingflood.c

From: Aggelos P. Varvitsiotis (avarvitat_private)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 03:39:07 PDT

    > /*
    >
    >    pingflood.c by (AntireZ) Salvatore Sanfilippo <md5330at_private>
    >    enhanced by David Welton <davidwat_private>
    >    I tested it only on Linux RedHat 4.1 and 5.0.
    >    David Welton tested it on Debian GNU/Linux and OpenBSD reporting
    > it           works.
    >
    >    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    >    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    >    the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.
    [64 lines deleted]

    Verified it on SunOS 5.5.1. Basically, it is so simple that it
    should work on any Unix box. The "bug" in ping's code is that
    the code naively assumes the SIGALRM is system-generated (due
    to a previous alarm() call). At least on SunOS 5.5.1, sigaction(2)
    can be used to examine the source of the SIGALRM (e.g. check
    that (siginfo_t *)si->si_code > 0 -- (siginfo_t *)si is returned
    to the signal handler if the sa_flags member of the struct sigaction
    passed to sigaction() has the SA_SIGINFO bit set). I am not sure
    how this can be implemented on other systems.

    BTW, how many setuid programs are there that will catch various
    signals and will behave "not-as-expected" when forked off by a
    signal-bomber parent process, such as pingflood?

    a.varvitsiotisat_private                     A.Varvitsiotis
                                                 ICCS Computer Center
                                          National Technical University of Athens