Re: ircii-pana (BitchX) 74p4 overflow

From: Brian Weiss (fuddat_private)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 22:24:09 PDT

    On Mon, 25 May 1998, Michal Zalewski wrote:

    > Recently I found interesting overflow in dgets(...) function in one of the
    > most popular irc clients, BitchX 74p4 (by panasync). You can cause remote
    > client crash (and possibly much more) when you're fingered (/finger
    > built-in command) by victim - simply create eg. .plan with line longer
    > than 2 kbytes.  Depending on used line (ln /dev/urandom ~/.plan is nice),
    > client will crash with SEGV immediately or during any next '/' command...
    >
    > Dumb, isn't it? For test purposes, /finger lcamtufat_private

    Thanks for the report, although this problem has already been fixed in the
    75 alpha versions. If you would like, you can obtain a 75aX binary through
    one of two methods:

    1. /ctcp q cdcc list - on efnet
    2. ftp://brian.got.net/pub/BitchX

    glibc and libc5 bins are available. Please keep in mind these are test
    versions and are not stable. Thanks again for the report and the patch.
    Keep up the good work.

    .-
    fudd@efnet
    Brian Weiss