Clarification

From: Niall Smart (njs3at_private)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 03:36:42 PDT

    In my response to the patch posted for bash I stated that the same
    functionality could be more easily achieved by removing the --noprofile
    option and putting the equivalent commands in /etc/profile.  This claim
    is completely bogus, as bash will only read /etc/profile when invoked
    with *argv[0] == '-' or with the --login option.  Many thanks to the
    innumerable people who reminded me of this.

    This does not change the main point I was trying to make, namely that
    getting around this "intrusion detection" technique is trivial.

    Niall