Re: SECURITY: Red Hat Linux 5.1 linuxconf bug

From: Sergio Ballestrero (sergioat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 15:13:12 PDT

      Hi all,
     i've got a few answers from people, and from the kind of answer i'm
    starting to think that i have not been clear enough in the first mail. So
    i apologize for this cross-posting, and for insisting on this thing, but
    i'd really like you all to get my point of view.

     I have that bit of knowledge of Unix that allows me to understand that
    Linuxconf is not the way to go for best system security; but it's the only
    way to go to make Linux acceptable in certain environments, when the other
    choice is WindowsNT. I can do, and i've done for years now, my system
    administration using config files etc.;  but when i bring a Linux server
    in an office, i _must_ give them an easy admin tool, else they'll ask for
    NT.

     So, my point of view is a bit different from the usual BUGTRAQer's: not
    to achieve absolute security, but an "acceptable" level. Still thinking
    about the (very) small office server: this means that there will be no
    local users, or maybe only a few, trusted ones; on the local network there
    will be practically nobody experienced with unix, so no serious threat;
    but there will be an Internet connection, and the server should be as safe
    as possible against attacks from the external net. Now, forget about
    firewalls and the rest, that the small office cannot afford: at this
    point, to me, "acceptable" security means that it should at least be
    "quite" secure against exploits from non-local users, and safe against
    non-allowed IPs - at least as much as tcp-wrappers are.

     If this is impossible to obtain with linuxconf, then i'll have to turn to
    something else - COAST, maybe, if it is any better. No matter the choice,
    the point is that Linux, and Unix in general, desperately needs easy admin
    tools; now that they're coming, it would be crazy to have to drop them
    because they cannot guarantee _any_ security.

                                        Cheers, Sergio

       Sergio Ballestrero                                    PratoNeXt s.r.l.
         System Manager                           Via Giotto 27 59100 Prato
         sergioat_private                        Tel 604350 - Fax 604454