(Admittedly Premature) Exploit (?) Warning.

From: J.A. Terranson (sysadminat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 19:58:17 PDT

    While I realize that this issue may not yet be "ripe", as I the folks involved
    (myself and at least three other sites) have not yet firmly established just
    *exactly* what is going on here, but...

    There appears to be some kind of exploit making the rounds that utilizes
    TCP packets from port "0" (yes, that's *zero*) to the IMAP port, 143.  These
    packet traces are right now available only as historical log entries that are
    *loosely* associated with 2 successful "root" attacks against IMAP enabled
    servers, an unsuccessful attack against another (ours), and the possible
    compromise of another.

            In short, I dont know a lot, other than in the course of reviewing my
    daily logs, I saw a couple of freaky packets (above) addressed to my
    nameservers (both of them).  They were rejected and logged at the routers,
    however, as a common courtesy, we notified the admin of the "sending"
    machine that they had a sick box.  As it developed, this person had
    recieved other emails regarding this from other admins, 2 of which had
    suffered the successful attacks mentioned above - all of us seeing the
    originating machine as the same box.  It is unknown if the source address was spoofed.

            Basically, I think this is just a "common-cause" warning to look out
    for weird packets of this nature, and to take notice if you see any.

            Rather than keep a running blow-by-blow going on the various lists,
    please address anything regarding this to me directly...

    Thanks
    J.A. Terranson
    sysadminat_private