Re: PTE bug.. more..

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Sun Jun 07 1998 - 00:25:27 PDT

    Alex, (I'm cc'ing this to bugtraq to further educate people, and set the
    comment I first made, right)

     I have located the positive source of the bug and am working on a patch.
    The setrlimit will not work to prevent this.  You can only limit the number
    of processes a person can launch, to limit the havoc they can cause.

    The bug stems from the way Linux manages PGD, PMD, and PTE structures.  At
    this time, Linux only deallocates PTEs when it frees page ranges.  PMD and
    PGD structures are not checked for use when entries are freed from them.

    I am working on a patch against 2.1 series kernels, which will be backported
    to the 2.0 series.

    So, to summarize:  It is a bug in that PMD and PGD structures are not
    deallocated when they have dropped to 0 usage; no usage count can be
    easily added to these because they are not "structures" in the normal
    sense.  I have an algorithm that works for a small percentage of cases,
    I'm working on the rest, and I should have a working patch soon (I hope :).

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\