Solaris 2.5.1 patch not effective?

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 17:18:28 PDT

    I have two reports from other UC campuses that exploits of the Solaris
    ufsrestore bug are being used against *sparc* hosts.

    At least one of the sites reports that patch 104490-05 (Solaris 2.5.1,
    sparc arch) was applied on a system that was compromised (presumably
    via this method).

    Consider this an *inconclusive* warning that the Sun ufsrestore patch
    *may* not be effective.  I have a call into Sun on this one.  If we
    can get the binary of the exploit, it might be interesting.

    [The reporting sites are BCC'ed on this note.  If they want to go
    public, its up to them.]

    --tep

    --
    Tom E. Perrine (tepat_private) | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     | Voice: +1.619.534.5000