Re: Silly patch to report version.bind requests

From: LaMont Jones (lamontat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 14:28:39 PDT

    > I wrote this patch for BIND 8.1.2 that will change the version number
    > returned and (most importantly) write to your logs that a person attempted
    > to do so.

    Rather than hacking on the source, just do the following with the stock
    distribution:

    in named.conf:
    zone "bind" chaos { allow-query {localhost; }; type master; file "pri/bind"; };

    and in pri/bind:
    $ORIGIN bind.
    @       1D CHAOS SOA    localhost. root.localhost. (
                            1               ; serial
                            3H              ; refresh
                            1H              ; retry
                            1W              ; expiry
                            1D )            ; minimum
            CHAOS NS        localhost.

    Presto - log messages for denied queries, and no changes to the code.

    lamont