Re: Vulnerability in 4.4BSD Secure Levels Implementation

From: abcat_private
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 12:21:18 PDT

    > The key word is "should" draw attention.  Unless there is an
    > application (or the system itself) that periodically checks for any
    > change in status of a system daemon (like the change of a PID), I
    > suspect that most sysadmins will not even notice that a system daemon
    > has died and restarted.  To help plug this vulnerability one of the
    > following options might be desirable,

    Many sysadmins in control of operating systems which have the
    immutable/no-unlink flags don't use those flags at all.

    > following options might be desirable,
    >
    > 1.  Disallow sending signals to processes started from immutable
    > binaries,
    >     except from init, e.g. during shutdown.
    >     Advantage:  Improved security.
    >     Disadvantages:  Administration may be virtually impossible and may
    > break
    >     existing applicaitons.

    While I agree that the signal issue is very messy, I don't think this
    is a good idea.  The obvious reasons include being able to keep a handle
    on an out-of-control process.  This would also be a great help to an
    intruder who doesn't like his/her processes being killed.

    > 1a. A variation of #1 except using a new "unkillable" flag which denotes
    >     immutable binaries that cannot be sent signals.

    Same problems.

    [...]

    > 3.  Replicate the immutable flag when a file is copied.
    >     Advantage:  Some improved security.
    >     Disadvantage:  Intruder can FTP a rogue daemon and run it instead.

    Reliably implementing this would be impossible.  The system has no
    real way of knowing whether or not a file is being opened for the purpose
    of its duplication, and making guesses at that could just lead to
    big problems.

    --
    cstone   <cstoneat_private>  <abcat_private>