Re: Vulnerability in 4.4BSD Secure Levels Implementation

From: tqbfat_private
Date: Sun Jun 14 1998 - 01:43:02 PDT

    > Unless there is an
    > application (or the system itself) that periodically checks for any
    > change in status of a system daemon (like the change of a PID),

    Watch out. You can't assume that a change of processes is detectable by a
    change in the PID --- if I kill off the original holder of a PID, I can
    claim that PID by forking until the OS re-uses it for my own process. Even
    if the system uses randomized PIDs (a cool idea), I will still eventually
    receive the one I want, and until I do (we're probably talking seconds),
    I can keep the service I'm backdooring running on a different PID.

    Thomas H. Ptacek          The Company Formerly Known As Secure Networks, Inc.
    http://www.pobox.com/~tqbf       "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"