FOLLOWUP: Solaris 2.6 ufsdump/ufsrestore vulnerabilities

From: Eugene Bradley (eugene.bradleyat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 20:54:26 PDT

    [Note: To prevent unnecessary and unprofessional flames,
    I will not mention the names of the employees at Sun that
    I have dealt with in the course of this matter.]

    Today, a Sun engineer emailed me new test binaries of
    patched versions of ufsdump and ufsrestore for Solaris
    2.6 SPARC that fix a buffer overflow vulnerability that
    can be exploited to obtain root access.

    Note that I received test binaries of the above-mentioned
    software last month.  Upon testing those (the week of May
    15 of this year), I found that both binaries still
    produced a SIGSEGV in the tape device arguement when it
    exceeds a certain fixed length, and were still
    exploitable.  I reported this to Sun after my initial
    findings May 18.

    I had a very interesting time in dealing with Sun
    concerning this particular vulnerability.  In early May,
    I was informed by one Sun programmer that this
    vulnerability will be fixed in the next release of
    Solaris (2.7 -- due out this fall) and that all engineers
    "...were working to get [Solaris] 2.7 out the door."  He
    also informed me that part of the reason for the delay
    was because I had a valid workaround, which was what I
    posted to BUGTRAQ back on April 23:

    quackers# chmod ug-s /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump
    quackers# chmod u-s /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsrestore

    Needless to say, after my boss and I complained loudly to
    our Sun representative as well as security-alertat_private
    concerning the ufsdump & ufsrestore buffer overflow
    security vulnerability, things managed to start rolling
    again towards a *fully-working* patch.

    I'm already aware of the fact that Sun released a similiar
    ufsdump/ufsrestore patch for Solaris 2.5.1 (now at patch
    104490-05 according to sunsolve.sun.com) that didn't fix
    the vulnerability.  I'll be testing the patched binaries
    on a Sun workstation at work over the weekend.  Let me
    know if you want me to look for anything in particular
    besides the obvious SIGSEGV error(s).  The last thing I
    need is a repeat of the failed ufsdump/ufsrestore patch
    for Solaris 2.6.

    Attached is a note I got from a Sun engineer today that
    explains most everything.  This will include two bug
    numbers, of which only one of them is valid in the Sun
    bug database at sunsolve.sun.com.  Note that I've
    modified the headers in the attachment to prevent
    unnecessary and unprofessional flames.

    Last note:  thanks to Sean McGann for discovering the
    original Solaris 2.6 ufsdump/ufsrestore vulnerability in
    on the x86 platform.

    --
    Eugene Bradley -- Just Another Random Solaris administrator
    eugene.bradleyat_private (Personal ONLY!) -- PGP key ID Ox7EE6A641