talkd vulnerability in patched RH 5.0?

From: Ken Williams (jkwilli2at_private)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 05:31:53 PDT

    hi,

    while engaged in a talk session with a local user on an RH 5.0 box with
    2.0.34 kernel that has all recommended patches, the user was able to
    execute a command in my cwd.  he executed a '\rm *' command in another
    xterm window and then inadvertently pasted the command into the xterm
    running the talk session just as i '<ctrl>-C'ed' out of the talk session.
    all of the files in my cwd were rm'ed.  i looked through all of my
    .history files and could not find any command executed on my end.

    btw, i checked the bugtraq archives and redhat.com, and read about the
    long history of talkd vulnerabilities and security risks, but did not see
    anything specifically about this event with patched RH 5.0.  sorry if this
    post happens to be irrelevant or old news.

    Ken Williams

    VP of E.H.A.P. Corp.    http://www.ehap.org/  ehapat_private, tattooat_private
    Packet Storm Security   http://www.Genocide2600.com/~tattooman/index.shtml
    NC State Comp Sci Dept  http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jkwilli2/