Re: security hole in mailx

From: Theo de Raadt (deraadtat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 11:07:18 PDT

    Of course the OpenBSD mailx program isn't setuid or setgid.

    But we did an audit of the source code anyways.  This particular
    buffer overflow isn't possible in our code, since $HOME is ignored the
    moment it becomes longer than MAXPATHNAMELEN.

    We found and fixed numerous other problems in mailx.  If anyone
    intends to make this program setuid or setgid, they need to do a
    significant amount of work... or just copy our code.

    But I don't gaurantee all problems are fixed in our version... since
    we are not running setgid.  We use a different mechanism for mail
    spool locking.