Re: guestbook script is still vulnerable under apache

From: Lars Eilebrecht (Lars.Eilebrecht@UNIX-AG.ORG)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 17:25:14 PDT

    According to Stunt Pope:

    [...]
    >  ...also seems to work. So it seems to me that the vulnerability exists
    >  because:
    >
    >          1) It's assumed an attacker will enter a correctly formed SSI
    >          2) the httpd executes malformed SSI's

    IMHO the guestbook script should not try to strip out SSIs, but rather
    reject every input which contain the sequence "<!--#".

    Apache handles SSI directives as soon as they appear in the document and
    doesn't wait for the "-->" ending sequence (By the way, it is possible to use
    more than one directive inside a SSI expression,
    e.g. <!--#exec cmd="script1.sh" cmd="script2.sh" -->).

    If the ending sequence is missing Apache outputs the error message
    "premature EOF in parsed file /path/to/file", but IMHO there is no
    reason why it shouldn't execute a valid SSI directive.

    Exec-SSIs are a security problem itself and one should know about the risks
    when enabling them (and enabling them for pages which are generated
    from user input, e.g. guestbook pages, is just a stupid idea).

    just my $0.02...
    --
    Lars Eilebrecht                               - Fatal system error:
    sfx@unix-ag.org                        - no coffee detected; user halted.