Re: guestbook script is still vulnerable under apache

From: Lincoln Stein (lsteinat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 06:29:27 PDT

     > On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
     > > I don't use the program in question so I can't pass this on to the author, but
     > > here is a replacement for that "bad" line that will handle all (to my
     > > knowledge) SSI's including malformed ones:
     > >
     > >     $value=~s{
     > >         <!                  # Comments start with <!
     > >         ([^<>]|<[^<>]+>)*   # Remove anything in between, including
     > >                             # the non-spec'ed included tags ...
     > >         >                   # End of the comment.
     > >     }{}gsx;                 # Replace with Nothing

    Tom Christiansen is on record (and in print) as saying that there is
    no single regular expression that can be used to strip out HTML
    comments (or any other HTML tag) 100% of the time.  I don't see why
    you would want to allow a guestbook upload to contain any HTML tags
    any way, since it is so easy for broken HTML to mess up the page
    downstream of the problem.

    Lincoln

    lsteinat_private                                   Cold Spring Harbor, NY