Re: textcounter.pl (alternate fix)

From: Steve Reid (sreidat_private-TO-SKY.NET)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 12:32:31 PDT

    > The fix I present has the undesirable result that it means the user can
    > create files with dangerous file names - the file gets created, and then
    > someone comes along and does a "rm *". and that filename with a pipe
    > character and evil command executes.

    That shouldn't be a problem. Most (all?) shells will escape
    metacharacters when expanding wildcards. If it doesn't, it could be
    considered a bug in the shell.

    What you _do_ have to worry about is filenames that look like options to
    rm. If someone creates a file called "-Rf", doing an "rm *" could wipe
    out subdirectories.