Compaq/Microcom 6000 DoS + more

From: Microcom Support (supportat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 06:30:54 PDT

   Enclosed is a message that I sent to Compaq/Microcom's technical support
about their Microcom 6000 access integrators. There is a DoS as well as a
brute-force password attack on these systems. I received a canned reply from
their technical team, but have yet to hear anything else from them, and this was
early June. I spoke with their technical support on the phone, and the answer
to this problem is to turn off telnet access. That's it - there was a message
in their call reference that there is no plans to upgrade or modify the pShell
(pSOS). Just thought that people should know that Compaq/Microcom do not seem
to care about security, nor do they seem to care that security is an issue for
their customers. And I am assuming that since the 6000 Acess Integrator is their
flagship model, these problems are present in all Acess Integrator models.
   BTW: The OS versions that I reported in my letter to Microcom are incorrect.
I was reading the wrong information - the correct version is 4.0.13, and the
latest version of the software is 4.0.15 (and 5.0 is in beta, according to the
technician). There are no security changes from 4.0.13 to 4.0.15, AFAIK.

-----FW: <01BD8EFC.379275D0.supportat_private>-----