Environment variables (SECURITY: too many new packages)

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 29 1998 - 16:42:10 PDT

    Bugtraq readers who haven't been following the Linux security audit
    project (from whence most of the Red Hat fixes came - and other vendors
    will I assume be issuing identical updates) might like to take a look
    at how their own OS handles pointing the following at files only root
    can read and running setuid apps. (or setgid usage in some cases such as
    Mutt)
            TZ
            TERMINFO
            TERMCAP

    There are lots of files which when read do 'interesting' things, and termcap
    in paticular is fun because it tends to read the entire floppy/tape/memory
    etc before it gives up.

    This raises another related question. Has anyone ever tried to build the
    complete list of environment influenced file opens in not just libc but
    all the supporting libraries in unix systems ?

    A PS item btw: 2.0.35pre3 fixes the bug reported with SIGIO, and it should
    be out as 2.0.35 proper RSN - 2.0.35pre3 is a release candidate. We hadn't
    planned on a 2.0.35 release quite that soon but such is life.

    Alan