Re: Serious Linux 2.0.34 security problem

From: Liviu Daia (daiaat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 02:45:35 PDT

    On 30 June 1998, David Luyer <luyerat_private> wrote:
    > I just saw this mentioned on linux-kernel and confirmed it;

    [ sample exploit deleted ]

    On 1 July 1998, Alan Cox <alanat_private> wrote:
    > Bugtraq readers who haven't been following the Linux security audit
    > project (from whence most of the Red Hat fixes came - and other
    > vendors will I assume be issuing identical updates) might like to take
    > a look at how their own OS handles pointing the following at files
    > only root can read and running setuid apps. (or setgid usage in some
    > cases such as Mutt)
    >         TZ
    >         TERMINFO
    >         TERMCAP
    [...]
    > A PS item btw: 2.0.35pre3 fixes the bug reported with SIGIO, and
    > it should be out as 2.0.35 proper RSN - 2.0.35pre3 is a release
    > candidate. We hadn't planned on a 2.0.35 release quite that soon but
    > such is life.

        Unfortunately, this fix seems to also break programs using SIGIO for
    legitimate purposes --- like MC with subshell support.  Personally, I'm
    not enough familiar with the internals of either the Linux kernel or MC
    to attempt to find out what's wrong with the new SIGIO handling, but you
    might want to address this problem before releasing 2.0.35.  I'm sure
    there's a better way to fix all this.

        On a completely unrelated topic, but since you mentioned Mutt:
    the new handling of locales in Linux libc's 5.4.45 and 5.4.46 breaks
    NLS support in binaries with either the setuid or the setgid bits
    set.  Mutt on Linux f.i. can't print accented characters any longer,
    because isprint() now assumes the "C" locales in setgid programs.  Pavel
    Kankovsky (the author of this change) commented that "setuid programs
    should be secure, not user friendly".  Now, while I basically agree with
    this statement (the implication for Mutt being that it should use an
    external program to manage locking), there's probably a way to fix that
    kind of problems without crippling the system. :-)

        Regards,

        Liviu

    --
    Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daiaat_private
    Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia