Re: qpopper2.52

From: Dan Jacobowitz (drowat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 13:54:33 PDT

    On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 12:51:50PM -0400, Alan J Rosenthal wrote:
    > Are these limits in fact unnecessary, or have the qualcomm folks missed a few?
    > (This file is the same in v2.52 -- got in this morning and started working on
    > the 2.5 version before I saw last night's bugtraq mail... arggh)
    >
    > If these limits are indeed necessary, note that there's also a copy of this
    > sprintf call on line 76.

    Not to mention in pop_msg.c where this whole mess began.  The Qualcomm
    folks have taken the approach of limiting the length of every string
    passed to the dangerous functions, instead of bounds checking within
    pop_log and pop_msg.  This is a dangerous thing to do in my opinion -
    while they may indeed have caught every major problem, there could
    possibly be unforseen circumstances where the strings passed to those
    functions do get overlarge.  It would be a very reasonable safeguard to
    add bounds checking to pop_log and pop_msg, and patches to do that have
    already been posted to this list.

    In fact, in the source code of 2.52 I see this:
    [0] mars:~/qp/qpopper2.52$ grep sprintf *.c |wc -l
          34
    By no means are all of these dangerous, but a slightly more useful
    figure is:
    [0] mars:~/qp/qpopper2.52$ grep sprintf *.c |grep '%s'|wc -l
          18

    Eighteen places where strings are pushed into fixed length buffers.  If
    they have missed even one....

    Daniel Jacobowitz
    drowat_private                                               danat_private