Re: allocslip

From: M.C.Mar (woloszynat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 06:41:19 PDT

    On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, CyberPsychotic wrote:

    (...)
    > Here's how i tested it:
    > pakage Dslip, version 2.03
    > (sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Network/serial/dslip203.tgz)
    > The package is rather old, but I found it being used on some Linux
    > machines around.
    >  gdb allocslip
    >
    > GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
    >  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
    > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
    > GDB 4.16 (i586-unknown-linux), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation,
    > Inc... (no debugging symbols found)...  (gdb) run b_s `perl -e ' printf
    > "A" x 300'` [usual GDB mesages]
    > GO! sh: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA: command
    > not found

    >  0x41414141 in ?? ()
    > (gdb)

    I downloaded it form
    sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/serial/dslip203.tgz, and it does
    not seem to be vulnerable:
    emsi:~/hack/dslip/slip/bin> ./allocslip b_s `perl -e ' printf "A" x 300'`
    GO!

    Or even:
    emsi:~/hack/dslip/slip/bin> ./allocslip b_s `perl -e ' printf "A" x 6000'`
    GO!

    It does NOT segfault (my system is Slackware 3.4 with 2.0.34 Kernel).
    So it was fixed or is not vulnerable at all (I tested it on both -
    precompiled and compiled myself).

    M.C.Mar   An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is.   emsiat_private
          "If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good." - Bill Gates
      Moze to nie miejsce, ale tak np. programy M$ to swoiste pomniki glupoty.