Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: David Schwartz (davidsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 12:57:18 PDT

    > And of course your comment is inconsistent with LD_PRELOAD handling on
    > every OS so far - ld.so is a shared object too.
    >
    > Alan

            The ld.so library is specifically intended to be callable by suid/sgid
    processes and callers can reasonably expect that the library would be safe.
    On the other hand, 'user' libraries should not be assumed to be safe under
    any circumstances.

            Programs not designed to be suid/sgid should not operate if they find
    themselves suid/sgid (and should make this check as early as practical).
    Programs designed to be suid/sgid should not call libraries not known to be
    safe without dropping privileges.

            And, of course, use of contructors not known to be safe in suid/sgid
    programs should be strongly discouraged. Pointers should be used instead and
    the objects created only after the environment is known to be safe.

            In my opinion, authors of programs that are designed to be suid/sgid should
    do anything that they don't reasonably know to be safe without first
    ensuring a sane (and unprivileged) environment. The fault is in the
    programs, not the libraries.

            David Schwartz