Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: David Schwartz (davidsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 17:35:11 PDT

    > In C++ _you cant_
    >
    > C++ global object constructors are called in pretty much arbitary
    > order before
    > main() is entererd.
    >
    > Its an interesting reason not to write setuid apps in C++ 8)

            Constructing global objects is bad anyway for a variety of reasons and
    tends to cause subtle bugs since the order is indeterminate. For example, if
    a class initializes global objects for its own tracking and you create an
    instance of the class globally, you have no way to know whether the class is
    internally ready to function or not. In general, you have no way to know if
    a class relies upon global initialization.

            Imagine if you do, globally, 'MyString foo("test");' but unknown to you,
    'MyString.h' has:

    class MyString
    {
     private:
     static int StringCount;
     public:
     MyString(const char *f)
     {
      StringCount++;
     }
    };

            and 'MyString.cpp' has:

    int MyString::StringCount=0;

            Constructing an instance of such a class globally is suicide.

            It's far better to use global _pointers_ and initialize them with calls to
    'new' from your 'main' function. Constructing 'complex' global objects is a
    losing proposition to begin with. And, in general, almost every global
    variable can be eliminated by clean coding.

            DS