Re: Remote count.cgi exploit mods

From: Alan J Rosenthal (flapsat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 17:31:10 PDT

    >If the version is 2.4, then it is patched for this bug. Anything
    >below that is vulnerable. (2.4 is the latest version)

    Not quite... at least, I hope not, and if the above is not wrong in the
    following sense then a lot of people would like to know.

    A distribution I myself called "2.3.new" for lack of a better name (as the
    distribution file itself was confusingly called 2.3) contains the following
    appendix in the top-level README:

            quick security fix. i'm keeping the version 2.3, because changing it
            requires changing many things. I don't have time!

            ma_muquitat_private
            Oct-14-1997

    and the 2.4 release seems to be dated 20 Oct, and the "what's new" section of
    the 2.4 release contains the line "Includes the Buffer Overflow security fix".

    I assume that this refers to the security fix contained in this temporary
    security fix version.  If not, I'd sure like to know.

    Since the two dates are only six days apart, probably most people out there on
    the net are either vulnerable or have version 2.4.  However, a large number of
    the readers of this list may have put the security fix version in place in the
    interim.

    So, do we have to upgrade to 2.4 if we have the security fix version?

    regards,
    ajr