Re: Regarding Mudge's OBP/FORTH root hack (PHRACK53)

From: Gene Spafford (spafat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 11 1998 - 17:18:17 PDT

    Well, not to detract from Mudge's reputation, but there were several
    exploits published in 90-92 dealing with dropping into the console
    monitor/debugger on Suns and poking at various things in memory.  This
    is hardly new.

    This is also how you can steal Kerberos tickets and passwords, PGP
    keys, and other assorted goodies if you have physical access to a
    machine someone is using remotely.

    And this isn't new to anyone who ever poked around in memory on an old
    PDP machine, or an old DG or Prime box, or....

    I'll let you draw your own conclusions from this story.   I will note
    that there is a reason Sun monitors have those security settings, and
    why the documentation suggests setting them.

    --spaf