Re: ncurses 4.1 security bug

From: Ben Laurie (benat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 03:51:29 PDT

    David Schwartz wrote:
    >         How do you think the compiler would interpret the following:
    >
    > MyString Foo="test";
    >
    >         It would _have_ to call a constructor. There is no other way to make a
    > 'MyString'. So your distinction is a distinction without a difference.

    That's my point. MyString requires a call to a constructor. An int
    doesn't. That's the difference.

    >         No you cannnot know that _in_general_. The code 'int
    > MyString::StringCount=0;' and the code 'MyString Foo="test"' are on an equal
    > level -- both construct global objects and initialize them to sane states.
    > So in general, you can't know which will occur first.

    No, we know that 'int MyString::StringCount=0;' is done first, because
    it needs no run-time initialisation.

    Cheers,

    Ben.

    and Technical Director|Email: benat_private |

    WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/